Our Story

The Porgera Gold Mine is located in the Enga Province of Papua New Guinea at an altitude of 2,200 – 2,700 meters. It is 130 kilometers west of Mt Hagen and 600 kilometers northwest of the capital Port Moresby.
The Porgera Joint Venture (PJV) owns the Porgera Mine which is operated by Barrick (Niugini) Limited ("BNL") on behalf of the JV partners.
BNL owns 95 per cent of PJV while the remaining 5% is owned by Mineral Resource Enga (MRE) Limited, which is a consortium between the Enga Provincial Government (2.5%) and the Porgera landowners (2.5%).
BNL is a company incorporated in Papua New Guinea. It is an independently managed company and is jointly owned through an equal partnership between Barrick Gold Corporation (“Barrick”) of Canada (47.5%) and Zijin Mining Group Company Limited (“Zijin”) (47.5%) of China. 
The Porgera Gold Mine employs over 3,300 Papua New Guineans and over the life of mine it has produced more than 20 million ounces of gold and contributed approximately 10% of Papua New Guinea’s total annual exports.


The Porgera Gold Mine in Enga Province, Papua New Guinea, is owned by the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV).

It is operated by Barrick (Niugini) Limited (“BNL”) which owns 95 percent participating interest in PJV. The remaining 5% is owned by Mineral Resources Enga (MRE) Limited.

Helpful Links